10 Tips for Growing Organic Vegetables:
- VEGETABLES ARE SUN LOVERS - Choose a spot in the garden that gets full sun all day for best results.
- VEGETABLES ARE SEASONAL – Select vegetable varieties according to season and climate of the area you live in. Most seed packets detail prime planting periods per variety.
- PLAN STAGED PLANTINGS TO ENSURE VARIETY AND CONTINUIOUS SUPPLY FOR THE KITCHEN – Plant a few seeds of each variety every week to ensure harvests over the full season.
- PREPARE BEDS AND DIG IN COMPOST BEFORE BUYING SEEDLINGS – Seedlings lose vigour and health if they stay unplanted for a period out of the ideal conditions of nursery care.
- OLD SEEDS EXPIRE – To ensure successful germination purchase fresh seeds each season.
- PLANT EDIBLES THAT YOUR FAMILY LIKE TO EAT – There are a lovely variety of novel, tasty, and colourful vegetables to choose from, but if your family does not eat “frilly kale” do not plant it.
- FOR SUCCESS FERTILIZE VEGETABLES ACCORDING TO VARIETY
- Root and Bulb vegetables need good phosphates to develop strong roots and bulbs so plant with Vita Grow 2:3:2(16)
- Leafy vegetables need nitrogen and potassium for green growth so feed with Vita Veg 6:3:4(16)
- Fruiting vegetables need nitrogen and more potassium to stimulate flower and fruit so plant with Vita Grow 2:3:2(16) and feed before flowering with Vita Fruit & Flower 3:1:5(18)
8. WATER VEGETABLES REGULARLY – In dry, warm weather water at least 3 times per week and preferably in the morning to prepare them for the heat of the day.
9. MULCH VEGETABLE BEDS AFTER SEEDS GERMINATE – To prevent weed growth, retain soil moisture and maintain a constant soil temperature.
10. DO NOT SPRAY POISONS ON VEGETABLES – There are non-toxic Biogrow organic pest and disease solutions stocked by Garden Centres that work effectively without poison.