Are you a beginner gardener or an experienced gardener looking for a new thrill?
Whether you have a vast expanse of garden, a townhouse patch or even a bitty balcony there is always a place for this trendy gardening innovation “The Urban Box” or “TUB” for short. This is such a versatile garden that the most difficult choice is to whether you want to fill it with Flowers, Roses, Herbs, Vegetables a selection of small fruit bearing shrubs, or perhaps a water wise Succulent box?
Autumn is an excellent time to start as climatic conditions are most favourable for plants and gardeners. Gone are the heady days of HOT summer sunshine which challenges any new planting to survive the extremes of hot, windy and dry. Once the FROSTY Winters appear your cold season plants are well established and growing vigorously so they welcome their favourite conditions.
EASY STEPS TO GROWING IN YOUR TUB:
- Decide what you wish to plant, perhaps a SALAD BOX with a mixture of herbs, loose leaf lettuce, radish and flowers which can be tossed together into a fresh and pretty salad.
- Plan planting space to accommodate the selected crops to be grown. Ask your Garden Centre expert if you are inexperienced and need advice.
- This is the most important step for success - Buy the best quality potting soil, and mix into it 1x5dm Fertilis Earthworm Castings, 1kg of Talborne Organics Vita Grow 2:3:2 fertilizer and vermiculite is recommended for good water retention.
- Line the bottom of the TUB with a hessian cloth or weed guard fabric to ensure good drainage before you fill TUB with potting soil.
- Plant seedlings, shrubs or seeds as selected and keep soil moist (NOT WET) by watering for 14 days for germination of seeds and good root development to establish plants.
- Water often and adjust to changing temperatures as days become cooler.
- Spray pests with organic, non-toxic solutions like Biogrow Pyrol for serious pest attacks like bollworm, vegetarian ladybird, scale or mealy bug or Biogrow Neudosan for regular control of aphids, white fly and red spider mite.
- For top up fertilizer apply Vita Fruit & Flower 3:1:5 (Flowering and Fruiting Plants) or Vita Veg 6:3:4 (Veggies and Herbs) every 3 to 4 months or as per crop requirements.